by Lauren Grace
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 Cups of Pitted Dates
- 2 Cups of Pecans
- 2 tbsp. of Raw Cacao Powder or Carob Powder
- 1tsp of Extract (I prefer Almond extract, but Vanilla works too, and Peppermint is a great choice for the holidays)
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (optional)
- Place all ingredients except for the Coconut into a Food Processor.
- Process until everything sticks together and forms into one large mass.
- Roll mixture in hands to make little balls and then roll in Shredded Coconut if desired.
- Place in a container and store in the freezer. (There is no need to defrost them. You can pop one in your mouth directly from the freezer and the consistency is perfect!)
Who knew dates could taste so good? I had never tried them before I made this recipe and needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve been making these now for 3 years and they are constantly stocked in my freezer. It’s the perfect sweet treat to satisfy a chocolate craving. I indulge in one practically every evening. It’s my dessert without the guilt.
Now I know that once you taste one you are going to want to make these all the time. And not to worry, because even though they taste deliciously sinful they are actually packed full of amazing health benefits!
Dates in Chinese medicine have properties that nourish Qi and Blood, which is essentially the life force or energy within you that keeps you going. This may be due to the fact that they are very high in vitamins and minerals, especially Magnesium, Potassium, and Iron. It is also a great source of dietary fiber and aids in digestive health. The Chinese also say that dates have a calming and sedating effect, which makes them the perfect night time treat to relieve stress and calm the mind before bed.
Pecans are another powerhouse of nutritional goodness. They are rich in Vitamin E, a natural antioxidant, which helps protect cell membranes and your skin from free radicles. Pecans lower cholesterol and support heart health. They are also high in Oleic Acid, which is an important nutrient in preventing Breast Cancer.
Raw Cacao is considered a Superfood, and is well deserving of such a title. It’s been known to support heart health, act as an antidepressant by balancing brain chemistry, supports detoxification, and acts as an anti-aging agent. High in antioxidants and packed full of vitamins and minerals its no wonder raw cacao has been linked to so many health benefits.
I have no doubt that you will be addicted to these little sweet treats just as much as I am. So go ahead and give yourself permission to indulge, enjoy, and eat up all that healthy goodness!