Let them start young is what works in the film industry and I bet it really works specialty if you want to make it big in the glamor world. It does not matter if you are venturing into modeling, singing or acting carrier. Watch out some legends and future legends in Bollywood who have proved the funda ‘ start young’
1. Shashi Kapoor– The handsome member of the Kapoor clan started his debut as a child artist in the movie Tabdir(1945). He went on to act in 30 other films as a child artist. His most noted performances as a child actor are in films like Aag (1948) and Awara (1951) where he played the role of Raj Kapoor’s younger counterpart. Later on, he went on to become a famous actor with movies like Deewar, Namak Khalal, Jab Jab Phool Khile and Aamne Saamne.
2. Neetu Singh– The effervescent actress first acted in the movie Do Kaliyan (1968) and was introduced with the name Baby Sonia. She continued as a child artist in films like Waris (1969) and Pavitra Paapi (1970) until she made her debut as an elder actress in Yaadon Ki Baarat (1973). Then there was no stopping for this bubbly punjabi girl who went on to star in her noted movies like Amar Akbar Anthony, Rafoo Chakkar and Khel Khel Main.
3. Padmini Kolhapuri– As a child artist, Padmini Kolhapure has acted in many movies like Ek Khilari Bawan Pattey, Dream Girl, Zindagi, Saajan Bina Suhagan and Thodi Si Bewafai. But her most noted roles include Satyam Shivam Sundaram, Insaaf Ka Tarazu and Gahrayee. She became famous later as she got plenty of opporunities to act with legends like Dev Anand, Shammi Kapoor and Dilip Kumar. Some of her famous movies are Woh Saat Din, Prem Rog and Ishq Ishq Ishq
4. Aamir Khan– Who can forget the cute little Aamir Khan is Yaadon ki Baarat as the youngest brother Tariq and the song and dance where he raises his little finger to indicate nature’s call. Aamir also acted as a child artist in Madhosh (1974). And now, the Mr. Perfectionist is one of the leading stars of Bollywood. Truely, the most successful child-artist-turned actor in the industry.
5. Urmila Matondkar– As per the trends back then, in Urmila Matondkar’s first movie Kalyug (1980), she acted as a boy. She also played son to Rekha’s and Raj Babbar’s starrer, Parikshit. Her most famous movie as a child artist was in Masoom (1983). She shot to limelight with her movie ‘Rangeela’ which was the time Bollywood took notice of this sexy girl and she has given a huge range of movies like Pyar tune kya kiya, Bhoot, Jungle, Pinjar, Satya and Ek Hasina Thi.
6. Aftab Shivdasni–He played the younger role of two of the best Indian actors – Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan. Aftab started with Mr. India (1987). Subsequently he did many films like Shahenshah, ChaalBaaz, Awwal Number, C.I.D. and Insaniyat before making his grown up debut in Ram Gopal Varma’s Mast. His other movies are Kasoor, Kya Yehi Pyaar Hai, Ankahee, Red: The Dark Side.
7. Jugal Hansraj– Hansraj started his career as a child artist in the film along side Urmila Matondakar in Masoom (1983). That film was a the biggest hit for Hansraj till date. Later on, he continued his career as a child artist in several films like Karma (1986) and Sultanat (1986). He also appeared on the ‘Nutramul’ advertisements. Though he has acted in films in his later life, he hasn’t been able to deliver any hits. His movies are Aa Gale Lag ja, Pappa Kehte Hai, Mohabbatein and minor roles in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham and Salaam Namaste. He has turned director in movie Roadside Romeo.
Potential Child Artists of Tomorrow
1. Darsheel Safary–He won evrybody’s heart with his heart-wrenching performance in ‘Taare Zameen Par’, has walked the ramp looking dapper, and has loads of attitude for a 12 year-old. The kid is a product of Shiamak Dhavar’s Dance academy and was spotted by Aamir Khan during the auditions for TZP. He has already given interviews, won an award and appeared in commercials. We are waiting for his next venture into films.
Parents of talented kids are you there?
Category: Guest Columnist